Sunday, December 18, 2011

While we wait, Fishtail Braids

(Photo by Free People)


Dear five or so subscribers and future readers, I am working on a piece about the importance of buying handmade and how it can be, in this increasingly dehumanized and mechanical world, understood as a radical act, a very powerful act. In this piece I will link our ancient prehistory with the always-with-us, deeply inherent need to create and to see the seasons of things from seed to fruition and onward and how the mass production of most of the things we use and need has rendered our once treasures to worthless trash and how that is taking a huge toll on our mental health and our very souls. But, until that is finished, I offer you a tutorial I found that teaches you how to do a herringbone braid because I absolutely love them. In the next post, I will be the Sarah Connor of crafts, saving the world from the evil machines, but while we wait for the redeemer- braids! Braids and Braids and braids. Girls been doing it since the beginning.


3 comments:

  1. 1. totally agree on needing to support/make/surround oneself with handmade crafties.
    2. i wish i had long hair with turquoise streaks so i could fishtail it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years of crafting and loving it, I ended up with a disability which limits my ability to craft anymore. BUT! Yes, there is indeed a but here! I am so proud of my daughters for learning to sew, paint, knit, embroider, and to teach their own children to do the same! What we do as parents also tends to "trickle down" to our children and grandchildren.

    Gayla
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/thejewelseeker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayla and Sarahtes, thanks so much for reading!

    Gayla it is amazing that you have given this wonderful gift to your children. Nothing could be more rewarding. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete